Highly contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV)
Biggest Risk Factors
(1) Not having the vaccination
(2) Never having chickenpox before
– Itchy, blister-like rash on chest, back, face, body (shingles) *can always come back later
– Loss of appetite
– Skin infections
Q & A
Why is it called chickenpox?Brenner Children’s Hospital (Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center)
(1) The red spots were once thought to look like chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
(2) Chickenpox rash looks like peck marks from chickens.
Chickenpox cannot be caught from a chicken.
What is shingles?Mayo Clinic
If you have had chickenpox before…
– Varicella-zoster virus remains in nerve cells
– Virus can reactivate and resurface as painful, short-lived blisters
*Virus generally reappears in older adults and people with weaker immune systems.