Highly contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV)
Biggest Risk Factors
- Not having the vaccination
- Never having chickenpox before
- Itchy, blister-like rash on chest, back, face, body (shingles) *can always come back later
- Loss of appetite
- Skin infections
Q & A
Why is it called chickenpox?
- The red spots were once thought to look like chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
- Chickenpox rash looks like peck marks from chickens (chickenpox cannot be caught from a chicken).
What is shingles?
If you have had chickenpox before...
- Varicella-zoster virus remains in nerve cells.
- Virus can reactivate and resurface as painful, short-lived blisters.
- Virus generally reappears in older adults and people with weaker immune systems.